PDRM, then and now

Posted on May 31, 2008


NSTonline reports today that on 24th July, 1994, at Kampung Semangat Laut on an island off Sabah, 6 police officers were faced with a stand-off against more than 20 trigger-happy pirates in the midst of an operation to nab the leader, Rizal Alih.

Not only were the police outnumbered, they were poorly armed compared to the pirates.

The senior police officer leading the team had a semi-automatic pistol. The others were armed with knives!

The pirates had knives, a shotgun and an M-16.

All hell broke loose when Rizal realised that police reinforcements were on the way, resulting with the pirates opening fire on the police.

The senior police officer, Deputy Superintendent Mohd Noor Razak,

Photo from NSTonline

was shot on his left arm and leg.

Undaunted, Mohd Noor pursued Rizal into the sea and apprehended him.

Mohd Noor was awarded the Panglima Gagah Berani, the nation’s highest award for gallantry, and the Darjah Kebesaran for his heroism.

He retired from the police force on July 31, 2005 after 36 years of service.

Fast forward to the night of 27th May, 2008 at Bandar Mahkota, Cheras (BMC).

At 11.30pm, Chang Jiun Haur, aged 21,

photo from Malaysiakini

was removed from his car by some 20 or so FRU men and beaten with batons and kicked with boots.

photo from Malaysiakini


“He asked for it. He ran over a policeman and he got what he deserved,” the officer told Malaysiakini a few minutes after the incident.

These FRU officers were presumably part of a team of reinforcements that had responded to a call for back-up from a group of about 12 police officers in 5 patrol cars at the same scene when, at about 7.00pm or soon after, violence broke out between residents of BMC and some 15 or so ‘outsiders’, said to be thugs armed with sticks, pipes and helmets.

The reinforcement, comprising six Federal Reserve Unit trucks along with about 100 riot police arrived at the scene, reportedly a little after 10pm.

Whilst waiting for the arrival of reinforcements, the 12 or so police officers, presumably with firearms, watched helplessly as those 15 or so ‘outsiders’ assaulted the BMC residents.


“They were too busy controlling traffic and could not do anything,” said Kajang police chief Shakaruddin Che Mood.

“They only managed to get the district police chief to send more enforcement to that area. By the time the FRU (Federal Reserve Unit) and police officers showed up, the scuffle had already ended”, said Deputy Home Minister Chor Chee Heung.

Meanwhile, it is now reported that Shakaruddin Che Mood has confirmed that Chang and the other occupants in his car are being investigated for attempted murder and rioting.