On 10th May, 2013, Solidariti Mahasiswa Malaysia (SMM), supported by Solidariti Anak Muda Mahasiswa Malaysia (SAMMM) and several other NGOs, submitted a memorandum to the Elections Commission (EC)to :-
- place on record the concerns of the rakyat with regard to the widespread irregularities and fraud observed on polling day on 5th May;
- demand that the EC forthwith proffer explanations in respect of the numerous matters raised in the memorandum;
- declare that the rakyat reject the outcome of the 13th General Election as announced by the EC;
- demand, given that the present EC, given the manner of their conduct of the 13th GE, are perceived as biased and totally unprofessional, that a new Election Commission be immediately constituted, thus requiring the present EC forthwith tender their resignations;
- demand that a newly constituted EC, comprising individuals of unquestionable integrity and who will enjoy the confidence of the rakyat, oversee the holding of fresh elections;
- declare that any government now appointed under the leadership of Dato Seri Najib Tun Razak does not enjoy the mandate of a majority of legitimate voters.
We also note that subsequent to the presentation of the memorandum, the EC had been given seven (7) days to respond, failing which, the rakyat would take to the streets in protest to pursue these demands.
We have since read in full the memorandum presented to the EC and now indorse the memorandum in solidarity with SMM, SAMMM and the several other NGOs.
We also join SMM, SAMMM and the several other NGOs in warning the EC that unless these demands are adhered to, they will have to face protests by the rakyat until these demands are met.
- Asalkan Bukan UMNO (ABU)
- Kill The Bill
- Mama Bersih
- Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM)
- Tindak Malaysia
- Parti Rakyat Malaysia
- Angkatan Pembebasan Bangsa Malaysia
At the end of the evening’s program, a declaration was drafted, read out to and approved by all present.
The declaration, in substance :
We, the rakyat, reject the results of the 13th GE as announced by the EC, and call for the resignation or sacking of the presently constituted EC.
We demand that fresh elections, free and fair, be held and be conducted by a newly constituted EC that enjoys the confidence of the rakyat.
To this end, we call on 1 million rakyat to rally in Kuala Lumpur on a date soon to be set.